Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Grow up!

What do you want to be when you grow up?

We've all heard that same question millions of times, starting when we were no more than 4 or 5 years old. Seemed like such a simple question then. My mom says that when I was asked that question when I was younger, I replied "babysitter." If only that were still the case.

I was asked to write a paper on where I hoped to be in 5 years, and it got me thinking back to that question. What do I want to be when I grow up? And then, it got me thinking of another thing. What exactly is "grown up"? When does that stage actually hit you, and how do you know you have finally grown up?

 When I was in middle school, I thought 16 was grown up. You could drive and go anywhere you wanted. Seemed so free. Then 16 came along..and went by way too fast...and it didn't seem so grown up anymore. At that point, I thought 18 was grown up. I would be out of high school and make my own rules. Psh. That never happened. And now at 20, I have come to the realization that I do not have a clue what "grown up" is. It's one of those phrases that I think everyone has to define for themselves. Maybe it'll be once I move out and learn to do things on my own. Or maybe it'll be after i'm engaged, or married, or when I have kids. But, does everyone really "grow up"?

Webster's defines "grown up" as: not childish or immature, having characteristics of adults, mature.

So, what do I want to be when I grow up? I can't honestly answer that right now. I do know that I want to be a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister, a niece, a granddaughter, etc. I don't know when I will officially be "grown up", but when I do, I hope my life is everything i've ever wanted it to be.


katejillian

No comments:

Post a Comment